A wide variety of surgeries are performed at the clinic:
- of convenience, which mainly concern sterilization and certain aesthetic procedures
- of necessity for the treatment of various pathologies.
1. Procedure of surgery
1-1 Preoperative visit: It is carried out before each surgery, allows us to check the health of your animal, to explain the reasons justifying this operation, and to explain the progress and the postoperative sequences. We can then provide you with a precise estimate of the cost of the intervention and its related care.
1-2 Preparation for surgery
To minimize the risk of sepsis (risk of infection), special attention is paid to the preparation of our patients: mowing the area, cleaning with a foaming and disinfecting solution (betadine soap), multiple cleaning with alcohol Then to the Betadine solution.
1-3 Anesthesia: Any surgery requires anesthesia. In order to minimize the risks associated with this anesthesia, we respect a precise protocol:
Pre-anesthetic balloon: a blood test allows the analysis of the functioning of the main internal organs, to detect any problems and to adapt the anesthetic protocol according to them.
-All animals are weighed in the most precise way possible, in order to adapt perfectly the doses of anesthetic used.
- For animals presenting particular risks and / or for longer surgeries, venous catheterization, intubation and respiratory monitoring are performed systematically.
1-4 Pain management: We pay particular attention to systematically managing pain by injecting analgesics before or during surgery. These products potentiate the effect of the anesthetics and make it possible to reduce their doses. In addition they allow a much softer awakening and faster recovery. We can reduce hospitalization time and make your companion faster (usually our patients are hospitalized for a single day and returned the same evening)
2. Operating procedures
In some cases, the animal is rendered without a dressing, a collar is sometimes provided, and a simple antisepsis of the scar is usually necessary. In the case where the animal is rendered with a dressing, its change is usually programmed within 5 days after the intervention.
Points are removed 10 to 12 days after surgery. In some cases, we use resorbable points on the skin, thus dispensing with the removal of the points. They disappear alone after 3 to 4 weeks.
In most cases, the animal is given an antibiotic treatment for a period of 5 to 6 days. If necessary, we prescribe a treatment to manage the pain associated with the surgical procedure.
3. Most Frequent Interventions
- The ovariectomy which consists of removing the ovaries to sterilize bitches and pussies.
- Mastectomies which are an ablation of the breasts in bitches or pussies suffering from breast tumors.
Skin and subcutaneous surgery:
- Excision of cysts, warts, cutaneous tumors
- Cutaneous and muscular sutures on various wounds
Surgery of the urinary tract:
- Cystotomy which consists of an opening of the bladder, usually to withdraw calculations, and urethrostomies which consist of an opening of the lower urinary tracts to clear calculations.
Surgery of the digestive tract:
- Enterotomy to remove a foreign body causing occlusion in the intestine
- The entetrectomy which consists of removing a piece of intestine, usually due to a phenomenon of necrosis or the presence of tumor.
Other common abdominal surgeries:
- Splenectomy: removal of the spleen when it is very damaged following an accident or when it is carrying tumors.
- Herniorraphies consisting of the surgical reduction of the hernias (umbilical, inguinal).
Commonly performed joint and bone surgery:
- Centro-medullary nailing (pins) on certain fractures.
- Anterior cruciate ligament ruptures of the knee.
- Reductions in dislocation.
- Excision of the head of the femur